Forbes came out with their annual ranking of charities; the United Way network comes in at the top. They are careful to point out that in fact United Way consists of 1,000+ legally independent local charities and not one giant entity. We at the United Way of Rockbridge benefit from the services that being a member of a large organization provides. But we aren’t burdened with a remote bureaucracy. A full 99% of what we receive stays in the community, and if we factor in “credits” towards seminars and regional executive director meetings, we get back much of our annual assessment from United Way Worldwide. The Forbes list also provides measures of fundraising efficiency and charitable commitment; United Way ranks well on both.
We thank the Generals Club members who have donated or pledged, and small businesses that have become Community Leaders. Several employers have now begun their workplace campaigns on our behalf – thank you!!
Join us at Kendal Hall from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm in the meeting hall to the right of the entrance of the main building. We’ll introduce our agencies and how your contribution benefits the community.
As advertised in the Lexington News-Gazette, look for boxes at the following locations. Contributions will be shared by Campus Kitchen, the Community Table, the Natural Bridge Food Pantry and the Rockbridge Area Relief Association.
- Blue Phoenix Cafe (110 W Washington, Lexington)
- Donald’s Meats (194 McCorkle Dr, Lexington)
- Fairfield General Store (5574 N Lee Highway, Fairfield)
- Kroger (422 E Nelson St, Lexington)
- Lee Hi Travel Plaza (2516 N Lee Highway, Raphine)
- Maury River Senior Center (2137 Magnolia Ave, Buena Vista)
- Rockbridge Regional Library (138 S Main St, Lexington)
- Spirit Horse Shenandoah Valley (12 Shawnee Hill Trail, Raphine)
- Sweet Treats Bakery (19 W Washington St, Lexington)
- Union Bank
- 2101 Forest Ave, Buena Vista
- 1197 N Lee Highway, Lexington
- Virginia Horse Center (487 Maury River Rd, Rte 39, Lexington)
- YMCA (290 N Lee Highway, Lexington)
Visit our booth on Main Street in Lexington Saturday August 27th! Books and more!!
- Followup: thank you for stopping by! We gave away 347 books for children!