Your United Way of Rockbridge is a non-profit with a single employee, the Executive Director. Together with a working Board of Directors and a community of volunteers, we fulfill the following duties:
Allocations: The Allocation Committee is responsible for allocating the funds we raise to community agencies.
- Organize and operate a systematic program of allocating funds raised in the annual United Way Campaign
- Evaluating agency budget requests in terms of community needs, analyze and evaluate the cost of programs, and devise and improve methods of evaluating program effectiveness
- Recommend to the Board of Directors allocations to prospective beneficiary agencies or services
- Recommend to the Board of Directors the adoption of the annual Campaign Goal
- Serve throughout the year, as needed, for the purpose of reviewing allocations to the agencies and to evaluate and revise the Fund Distribution policies and procedures
Governance: The Governance Committee make sure we are operating as well as we can!
- Reviewing, drafting and recommending to the Board of Directors amendments to the organization’s by-laws as necessary
Campaign: The Campaign Committee manages our annual campaigns, in which we raise money for local agencies.
- Organize, prepare and conduct the annual campaign
- Reporting to the Board of Directors on the progress of achieving the annual campaign goal and at the conclusion of the event
Finance: The Finance Committee helps us keep our finances in order.
- Oversight of financial transactions
- Review and approval of monthly financial statements
- Development of financial operational guidelines
- Recommending to the Board of Directors an annual budget for the organization
Publicity: The Publicity Committee is our face to the public.
- Presenting United Way’s image to the public
- Building relationships in and with the community
- Communicating the impact United Way’s work has in and on the community
- Educating the public about philanthropy and ways to engage in thoughtful charitable giving
- Working through the media and personal contacts to meet these aims
Planning: The Planning Committee makes sure we’re on the right path.
- Developing and recommending to the Board of Directors a plan to meet the human service needs for the community and adressing the future role of the United Way of Rockbridge
- Monitoring progress on the plan, and reporting this progress to the Board
Community Impact: The Community Impact Committee oversees our program to help agencies work together on projects to accomplish community goals. We do not administer any programs, but seek ways to bring people together to address the areas of weakness that have been identified.
- Our very first Community Impact project is Rockbridge Reads!
- Rockbridge Reads is the umbrella that supports a variety of programs and activities throughout Rockbridge County focused on creating a culture of literacy so that all children enter school ready to learn. Working with all three local school divisions, all three colleges, and interested community partners, we are seeking creative ways to enhance literacy so that all children entering kindergarten are ready to learn.
If you’re interested on serving on any of these committees, or would like more information about them, please contact us.